When you pull out this mason jar salad for lunch at work or at your next picnic, it’s bound to catch the eye of everyone around you with its rainbow of colors that’ll make eating healthy fun.
You’ve heard to “eat the rainbow.” Well here’s why. The colors found in nature are each associated with different phytonutrients. By eating a wide range of them, you provide your body with a broad spectrum of nutrition. For instance, carrots and yellow bell are rich in beta-carotene, red peppers contain lycopene, and red cabbage has powerful antioxidants…everything in this salad is packed with nutrition, but we just love how it tastes!
Rainbow Salad in a Mason Jar
When you pull out this mason jar salad for lunch at work or at your next picnic, it's bound to catch the eye of everyone around you with its rainbow of colors that'll make eating healthy fun.
- 1/2 cup white balsamic vinegar
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic finely chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh flat leaf (Italian) parsley finely chopped
- Sea salt (or Himalayan salt) (to taste; optional)
- ground black pepper (to taste; optional)
- 2 cups chickpeas (garbanzo beans) drained, rinsed
- 1 cup carrots sliced
- 1 medium red bell pepper chopped
- 1 medium yellow bell pepper chopped
- 2 cups red cabbage chopped
- 1 cup chopped cucumber
- 8 cups assorted salad greens like mixed spring lettuce
- 1/2 cup raw sunflower seeds
Combine vinegar, oil, garlic, and parsley in a small bowl; whisk to blend.
Season with salt and pepper if desired; mix well. Evenly divide dressing between 4 one-quart Mason jars. Set aside.
Evenly layer chickpeas, carrots, bell peppers, cabbage, cucumber, salad greens, and sunflower seeds on top of dressing in jars.
Serve immediately or cover and refrigerate for up to 3 days. Shake before serving.
Nutritional Information (per serving):
Total Fat: 12 g
Saturated Fat: 1 g
Cholesterol: 0 mg
Sodium: 444 mg
Carbohydrates: 33 g
Fiber: 11 g
Sugar: 5 g
Body Beast Portions
Portion Fix Containers
1 ½ tsp
Not familiar with Portion Fix? Find out how Portion Fix can make losing weight simple.
If you have questions about the portions, please click here to post a question in our forums so our experts can help. Please include a link to the recipe.