If you think salads have to be boring, then you haven’t had this colorful, flavorful Mason jar salad.
You’ll be literally eating a rainbow of bright red and yellow bell peppers, red cabbage, carrots, cucumbers, garbanzo beans, and vibrant greens.
Topping it off is a zesty white balsamic vinegar dressing that’s tart and refreshing.
Rainbow Salad in a Mason Jar
When you pull out this Mason jar salad for lunch at work or at your next picnic, it's bound to catch the eye of everyone around you with its rainbow of colors that'll make eating healthy fun.
- ½ cup white balsamic vinegar
- 2 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic finely chopped
- ¼ cup fresh flat leaf (Italian) parsley finely chopped
- Sea salt (or Himalayan salt) (to taste; optional)
- ground black pepper (to taste; optional)
- 2 cups chickpeas (garbanzo beans) drained, rinsed
- 1 cup carrots sliced
- 1 medium red bell pepper chopped
- 1 medium yellow bell pepper chopped
- 2 cups red cabbage chopped
- 1 cup chopped cucumber
- 8 cups assorted salad greens like mixed spring lettuce
- ½ cup raw sunflower seeds
Combine vinegar, oil, garlic, and parsley in a small bowl; whisk to blend.
Season with salt and pepper if desired; mix well. Evenly divide dressing between 4 one-quart Mason jars. Set aside.
Evenly layer chickpeas, carrots, bell peppers, cabbage, cucumber, salad greens, and sunflower seeds on top of dressing in jars.
Serve immediately or cover and refrigerate for up to 3 days. Shake before serving.
The Nutrition Facts box below provides estimated nutritional information for this recipe.
Body Beast Portions
2B Mindset Plate It!
Add a protein for a great lunch.
If you have questions about the portions, please click here to post a question in our forums so our experts can help. Please include a link to the recipe.
Photos by Kirsten Morningstar