This recipe adds a citrus zing and tons of flavor to chicken while keeping it succulent and tender.
Chicken breasts are topped with orange slices, basted with orange juice, and baked with hearty, inexpensive staples like carrots, celery, and sweet potatoes, which also take on the bright citrus flavor.
Baked Chicken With Carrots, Oranges, and Sweet Potatoes
This chicken recipe adds a citrus zing that gives white meat tons of flavor while keeping it succulent and tender.
- 4 medium carrots, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 2 small sweet potatoes, peeled, cut in half lengthwise, cut into 1-inch slices
- 2 medium celery stalks, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 medium red onion, sliced
- 4 (4-oz.) each raw chicken breasts, boneless, skinless
- ¼ cup 100-percent orange juice or juice of 2 medium navel oranges
- ½ cup water
- 2 medium navel oranges, peeled, chopped
- 2 fresh rosemary sprigs
- Sea salt (or Himalayan salt) and ground black pepper to taste (optional)
Preheat oven to 350° F.
Place carrots, sweet potatoes, celery, onion, and chicken in large oven-proof roasting pan.
Top with orange juice, water, oranges, rosemary, salt (if desired), and pepper (if desired).
Bake, basting occasionally, for 35 to 45 minutes, or until chicken is no longer pink in the middle and juices run clear.
The Nutrition Facts box below provides estimated nutritional information for this recipe.
You can also make this dish in a slow cooker. Layer all ingredients in the slow cooker. Cook for about 4 hours on high, or until chicken is no longer pink in the middle and juices run clear.
Body Beast Portions
2B Mindset Plate It!
A great lunch option.
If you have questions about the portions, please click here to post a question in our forums so our experts can help. Please include a link to the recipe you’re asking about.
Photos by Kirsten Morningstar