He’s made grown men and women cry (himself included) with his punishing HIIT workouts, but he’s also a man of many interests and talents besides holding dumbbells — he’s an adrenaline junkie, loves running around with power tools, and jamming out to glam rock.
Check out his idea of a perfect meal, what motivates him, and the music that always puts him in a good mood!
What You Don’t Know About Me… by Joel Freeman:
1. My favorite food: Cheeseburger! With all the fixins, avocado, and a fried egg.
2. My least favorite food: KALE
3. My idea of a perfect meal: A good bourbon (like maybe a Blanton’s), some spicy tuna tartare appetizer, and a fine cut of steak filet with some grilled veggies and baked potato.
4. What motivates me when I’m not in the mood to work out or eat healthy: I remind myself that consistency has helped me feel successful and that allowing myself an “off” day every week makes it easier to stay on-track all the other days.
5. My guilty pleasure: I never feel guilty! That’s the beauty of allowing myself the pleasures that life has to offer… in moderation of course.
6. One thing I’m really good at: Fixing things, especially if it involves construction. I love building new and fixing old!
7. One thing I’m really bad at: Relaxing! If I spend too long in one spot or don’t have anything on my “to-do” list, I get very antsy and uptight.
8. How I clear my head after a crappy day: Pour myself a bourbon, completely disconnect from social media and the outside world, and spend some time on the couch relaxing — watching whatever looks good at that moment, usually a Bond flick. I rest and reset.
9. The song (or type of music) that always puts me in a good mood: Anything rock! Classic vinyl, cassette-tape era, hair metal, glam rock, late ’90s – ’00s, the new stuff… if it’s rock, it amps me up!
10. The talent I would most like to have: Dance! But like REALLY dance, MJ-style, and moonwalk all over the place.
11. Who I admire and why: I admire anyone who’s not afraid to do whatever needs to be done for themselves and their family, without excuses.
12. The qualities I most admire in someone: Solid work ethic, humility and simply being “real” to who they are and to those around them.
13. The things I most value in my friends: My true friends are those who are always honest, upfront, and never make anything more complicated than it needs to be.
14. Three qualities that have gotten me to where I am today: Fearless and unwavering work ethic, ability to stay objective with tasks at hand, and overall being appreciative and grateful to everyone around me
15. The change I’d like to see in my industry: I’d love to see more “real” approaches to fitness and nutrition that more people can relate to in their own personal lives. More thought to the fact that health and fitness aren’t supposed to be a chore; they’re meant to enhance your life!
16. The best advice I’ve ever gotten: Don’t ever let anyone hold you hostage when it comes to your emotions, feelings, or simply in life.
17. The best advice I could give someone: What you do and who you become is 100 percent up to you. Dwelling on and using the past as an excuse to shape your future is doing yourself an injustice.
18. My greatest achievement is: Not being scared to make the big moves to start over (more than once in my life) and take on new challenges and opportunities.
19. My idea of a perfect day: Sipping coffee; seeing all of the amazing people on social media doing my workout programs, and getting a solid workout in.