Just like sugar cookies and mistletoe don’t magically materialize on the first day of December, holiday workouts don’t just happen.
They require planning, and maybe a dusting of holiday cheer!
So, write it down. Really.
“Chances are if you have a few days off work for the holidays and you’re chillin’ on the couch saying, ‘I’ll work out later,’ you probably won’t,” says Amanda Lopez, Openfit Technical Fitness Advisor. “But if you write it down like an appointment, you’re more likely to stay committed.”
To help keep you on track when it’s most tempting to forgo fitness for cozy couch time, we put together the 12 Days of Fitmas, a festive workout that can be done anywhere, any time —no equipment necessary.
And remember that exercise can be an integral part of your holiday celebration, not a departure from it.
“A little family competition workout could be fun!” says Lopez.
So gather your loved ones, crank up the carols, and get moving!
(Pro tip: Not a Beachbody On Demand member yet? Sign up here!)
The 12 Days of Fitmas Workout
This holiday-themed workout is structured just like the classic song “The 12 Days of Christmas.”
(But you can do these moves any time of year, not just the holidays! Pick 12 days in your schedule and get moving!)
Here are the moves:
- A High Low Push-Up Shoulder Tap
- 2 Squat Jumps
- 3 Superman Crunches
- 4 Pistol Squats
- 5 Triceps Dips
- 6 Bicycle Crunches
- 7 Sumo Squats
- 8 Push-Ups
- 9 Glute Bridges
- 10 Forward Lunges
- 11 Air Jacks
- 12 Burpee Bolts
For each round, or “day,” do that day’s movement plus the previous days’ movements.
On the fifth day of Fitmas, do 5 triceps dips, 4 pistol squats, 3 superman crunches, 2 squat jumps, and a high low push-up shoulder tap.
Next round, do 6 bicycle crunches, 5 triceps dips, 4 pistol squats, 3 superman crunches, 2 squat jumps, and a high low push-up shoulder tap.
Ready? Everybody all together!
“On the first day of Fitmas, Beachbody gave to me…”
1 High Low Push-Up Shoulder Tap
- Assume a high plank position with your arms straight, your hands under your shoulders, and your body in a straight line from head to toe.
- Keeping your core tight and back flat, place your right forearm on the floor. Repeat with your left forearm.
- Return to the starting position, and then tap each shoulder with your opposite hand.
Find this move in: Clean Week with Megan Davies
“On the second day of Fitmas, Beachbody gave to me…“
2 Squat Jumps
- Stand tall with your feet hip to shoulder-width apart and your arms by your sides.
- Keeping your back flat, chest high, and core braced, push your hips back, bend your knees, swing your arms back, and lower your body (don’t go below thighs parallel).
- Explode off the floor, raising your arms as you jump as high as you can.
- Land softly, immediately dropping down into a squat in preparation for your next jump.
Find this move in: 21 Day Fix Real-Time with Autumn Calabrese
“On the third day of Fitmas, Beachbody gave to me…“
3 Superman Crunches
- Lie facedown with your arms extended over your head (hands open, thumbs up) and your legs straight with your feet about a foot apart. This is the starting position.
- Lift your arms, legs, head, and chest off the floor (don’t crane your neck—keep your nose pointed down). Hold for a count of three.
- Return to the starting position
Find this move in: 10-Minute Trainer
“On the fourth day of Fitmas, Beachbody gave to me…“
4 Single Leg Squats
- Stand with your back to a bench or other stable, knee-high platform.
- Extend your right leg in front of you with your toes up, keeping your heel an inch or two off the floor.
- Keeping your chest lifted, your back flat, and your core engaged, push your hips back and lower your butt onto the bench.
- Return to the starting position without letting your right foot touch the floor.
- Perform equal reps on both legs.
Find this move in: The Master’s Hammer and Chisel
“On the fifth day of Fitmas, Beachbody gave to me…“
5 Triceps Dips
- While seated on a sturdy chair or bench, grip the front edge of the seat firmly just outside of your hips, and then scoot forward until you’re supported solely by your arms and legs. You can keep your legs bent 90 degrees with feet flat (to make it easier), or extend them straight out in front of you so that your weight is on your heels (for more of a challenge). This is the starting position.
- Keeping your core tight and your back flat, slowly bend your elbows to lower your hips toward the floor, stopping once your elbows reach 90 degrees.
- Reverse the move to return to the starting position, pushing back up until your arms are fully extended.
Find this move in: INSANITY MAX:30 with Shaun T
“On the sixth day of Fitmas, Beachbody gave to me…“
6 Bicycle Crunches
- Lie on your back with your hips and knees bent 90 degrees. Place your fingertips on the sides of your head behind your ears, and elevate your shoulders off the floor.
- Extend your right leg as you rotate your torso to the left, bringing your left knee toward your right elbow.
- Repeat on your other side, straightening your left leg as you bring your right knee toward your left elbow. Continue alternating sides.
Find this move in: Autumn’s BOD Exclusives
“On the seventh day of Fitmas, Beachbody gave to me…“
7 Sumo Squats
- Stand with your feet wider than your shoulders and your arms at your sides. Turn your feet slightly outward. This is the starting position.
- Keeping your chest up and core engaged, push your hips back, bend your knees, and lower your body until your thighs are at least parallel to the floor. As you squat down, bring your hands together in front of your chest.
- Pause, and then return to the starting position.
Find this move in: PiYo with Chalene Johnson
“On the eighth day of Fitmas, Beachbody gave to me…“
- Start in a high plank position with your feet together (or slightly apart to make it easier) and your hands in line with your shoulders.
- Keeping your elbows at about 45 degrees, your back flat and your head and hips in alignment with your spine, lower chest so that it’s within a few inches of the floor.
- Push your palms into the floor and return to the starting position.
Find this move in: P90X with Tony Horton
“On the ninth day of Fitmas, Beachbody gave to me…“
9 Glute Bridges
- Lie on your back with your arms by your sides. Bend your knees, keeping the toes pointed forward and your heels close to your butt.
- Pull in through your navel to brace your core muscles and then squeeze your glutes to press your hips up so your body forms a straight line from knees to shoulders.
- Keep your head on the floor and eyes focused on the ceiling.
- Hold the position for a second before lowering your hips.
Find this move in: 80 Day Obsession with Autumn Calabrese
“On the tenth day of Fitmas, Beachbody gave to me…“
10 Forward Lunges
- Stand with your feet hip-width apart and your arms at your sides.
- Keeping your chest up, shoulders back, and core braced, take a large step forward with your right foot. Lower your body until your front thigh is parallel to the ground and your rear knee is bent 90 degrees (it should hover a couple of inches above the floor).
- Pause, then reverse the movement to return to the starting position. Repeat, this time stepping forward with your left foot. Continue alternating legs with each rep.
Find this move in: Rev Abs
“On the eleventh day of Fitmas, Beachbody gave to me…“
11 Air Jacks
- Stand tall with your feet together and your arms at your sides.
- Dip your knees, and then jump up, simultaneously raising your arms and legs out to your sides (your body should form an “X” in mid-air).
- Land softly with your feet together and arms at your sides, then immediately dip your knees in preparation for the next jump.
Find this move in: TurboFire with Chalene Johnson
“On the twelfth day of Fitmas, Beachbody gave to me…“
12 Burpee Bolts
- Stand with your feet hip-width apart. Bend your knees and place your hands on the floor.
- Shoot your legs back to a high plank position, making sure your back is flat.
- Jump both feet off the ground at the same time, driving one knee forward toward your chest and shooting the opposite leg straight out behind you.
- Make sure you land softly and repeat with the opposite leg.
- Jump both feet forward, just outside your hands, then stand tall.
Find this move in: Morning Meltdown 100 with Jericho McMatthews