When we first had the idea to make quinoa breakfast cups, we thought they’d taste really good, but, we were wrong. They taste amazing. This grab-and-go, savory breakfast has just the right amount of ham and sharp cheddar cheese to be packed with flavor but stay low in calories. They are fantastic for meal prep and they reheat well in a microwave or toaster oven.
- For meatier chunks of ham, we asked our grocer to cut a single thick slice of deli ham, which we cut into cubes. Any good quality sliced ham or Canadian bacon will work.
Zucchini, Ham, and Quinoa Cups
For this egg cups, we combined cheese, ham, and quinoa for a meal that will help keep you going until lunch!
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 2 cups cooked quinoa
- 2 large eggs lightly beaten
- 2 large egg whites (1/4 cup)
- 1 cup shredded zucchini about 1 medium
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 2 Tbsp. grated Parmesan cheese
- ½ cup diced lean ham
- ¼ cup finely chopped parsley
- 2 medium green onions chopped
- sea salt (or Himalayan salt) and ground black pepper to taste; optional
Heat oven to 375° F.
Lightly coat two regular twelve-cup muffin tins with spray. Set aside.
Combine quinoa, eggs, egg whites, zucchini, cheddar cheese, Parmesan cheese, ham, parsley, and green onions in a large bowl; mix well. Season with salt and pepper, if desired.
Evenly pour quinoa mixture into muffin cups.
Bake for 12 to 15 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of cups comes out clean.
The Nutrition Facts box below provides estimated nutritional information for this recipe.
Portion Fix Containers
Not familiar with Portion Fix? Find out how Portion Fix can make losing weight simple.
If you have questions about the portions, please click here to post a question in our forums so our experts can help. Please include a link to the recipe.
Photo by Kirsten Morningstar