The Waldorf salad is a classic, but the original mayonnaise-smothered recipe is in need of a makeover to fit into a healthier modern diet.
We created this refreshingly lean version made with crunchy apples, celery, walnuts, sweet grapes, and turkey breast. Ours is lightened by blending yogurt with a touch of mayonnaise to make a creamy sauce that stays true to the flavor of the original.
The result is a salad you’ll want to eat again and again!
This is a perfect way to use leftover turkey or chicken. Serve on lettuce, or use the whole lettuce leaves to make lettuce cups.
Turkey Waldorf Salad
This Turkey Waldorf salad is a classic, but we gave the original mayonnaise-smothered recipe a makeover to fit into a healthier modern diet.
- ½ cup reduced-fat (2%) plain yogurt
- 1 Tbsp. + 1 tsp. olive oil mayonnaise
- 1 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- 1 tsp. raw honey*
- ½ tsp. sea salt (or Himalayan salt)
- ½ tsp. ground black pepper
- 2¼ cups roasted turkey breast, shredded (approx. 12 oz.)
- 2 medium celery stalks, sliced
- 1 medium Granny Smith apple, chopped
- ¼ cup raw walnuts, chopped
- 1 cup red grapes, halved
- 8 Boston (or Bibb) lettuce leaves
Combine yogurt, mayonnaise, lemon juice, honey, salt, and pepper in a medium bowl; mix well. Set aside.
Combine turkey, celery, apple, walnuts, and grapes in a medium serving bowl; mix well.
Add yogurt mixture; toss gently to blend.
Serve on top of lettuce.
*Do not feed honey to children younger than one year.
Portion Fix Containers
2B Mindset Plate It!
Add more veggies for a great lunch.
If you have questions about the portions, please click here to post a question in our forums so our experts can help. Please include a link to the recipe you’re asking about.
Photos by Kirsten Morningstar