When we say zesty here, we mean spicy! This recipe really wakes up the average chicken with brown rice dinner. Chicken is cooked with fresh veggies, tomatoes, and chili sauce–a condiment like ketchup, with a kick. Want a milder version? Substitute plain tomato sauce.
Zesty Chicken with Brown Rice
- 2 Tbsp . olive oil , divided use
- 1 cup dry brown rice
- 2 cups water
- ¼ tsp . sea salt
- 1 medium onion , chopped
- 1 medium green bell pepper , chopped
- 2 medium celery stalks , chopped
- 1 lb . raw chicken breasts , boneless, skinless, cut into 1-inch strips
- 2 cloves garlic , finely chopped
- 1 (14.5-oz.) can low-sodium diced tomatoes
- ½ cup all-natural chili sauce
- 1 Tbsp . chopped fresh basil (or 1 tsp. dried basil)
- 1 Tbsp . chopped fresh parsley (or 1 tsp. dried parsley)
- ¼ tsp . crushed red pepper
Heat _1 Tbsp._oil in large saucepan over medium heat.
Add rice; cook, stirring frequently, for 1 to 2 minutes, or until rice starts to crackle.
Add water and salt. Bring to a boil, covered. Reduce heat; cook for about 30 to 35 minutes, or until rice is tender and fluffy.
While rice is cooking, heat remaining 1 Tbsp. oil in medium nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.
Add onion, bell pepper, and celery; cook, stirring frequently, for 2 to 3 minutes.
Add chicken and garlic; cook, stirring frequently, for 4 to 5 minutes, or until chicken is no longer pink.
Reduce heat to medium. Add tomatoes, chili sauce, basil, parsley, and red pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; gently boil, covered, for 10 minutes.
Divide rice between four serving plates; top evenly with chicken mixture.
Nutritional Information (per serving):
Total Fat: 12 g
Saturated Fat: 2 g
Cholesterol: 73 mg
Sodium: 414 mg
Carbohydrates: 56 g
Fiber: 5 g
Sugars: 9 g
Protein: 29 g
1 Grain Carb
Body Beast Portions
If you have questions about the portions, please click here to post a question in our forums so our experts can help. Please include a link to the recipe you’re asking about.
Photos by Kirsten Morningstar