When we say zesty, we mean spicy!
This recipe really wakes up the average chicken with brown rice dinner. Chicken is cooked with fresh veggies, tomatoes, and chili sauce – a condiment like ketchup, with a kick.
Want a milder version? Substitute plain tomato sauce.
Zesty Chicken with Brown Rice
- 2 Tbsp . olive oil , divided use
- 1 cup dry brown rice
- 2 cups water
- ¼ tsp . sea salt
- 1 medium onion , chopped
- 1 medium green bell pepper , chopped
- 2 medium celery stalks , chopped
- 1 lb . raw chicken breasts , boneless, skinless, cut into 1-inch strips
- 2 cloves garlic , finely chopped
- 1 (14.5-oz.) can low-sodium diced tomatoes
- ½ cup all-natural chili sauce
- 1 Tbsp . chopped fresh basil (or 1 tsp. dried basil)
- 1 Tbsp . chopped fresh parsley (or 1 tsp. dried parsley)
- ¼ tsp . crushed red pepper
Heat _1 Tbsp._oil in large saucepan over medium heat.
Add rice; cook, stirring frequently, for 1 to 2 minutes, or until rice starts to crackle.
Add water and salt. Bring to a boil, covered. Reduce heat; cook for about 30 to 35 minutes, or until rice is tender and fluffy.
While rice is cooking, heat remaining 1 Tbsp. oil in medium nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.
Add onion, bell pepper, and celery; cook, stirring frequently, for 2 to 3 minutes.
Add chicken and garlic; cook, stirring frequently, for 4 to 5 minutes, or until chicken is no longer pink.
Reduce heat to medium. Add tomatoes, chili sauce, basil, parsley, and red pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; gently boil, covered, for 10 minutes.
Divide rice between four serving plates; top evenly with chicken mixture.
2B Mindset Plate It!
Add a side salad or more veggies for a great lunch option.
If you have questions about the portions, please click here to post a question in our forums so our experts can help. Please include a link to the recipe you’re asking about.
Photos by Kirsten Morningstar