Forget the curry takeout — our vegetarian pumpkin curry recipe makes it easy to prepare and oh-so delicious.
This simple dish of pumpkin, bell peppers, fragrant fresh basil, and coconut milk is ready in just 25 minutes.
Vegetarian Pumpkin Curry
This simple dish of pumpkin, bell peppers, and fragrant fresh basil and coconut milk is ready in just 25 minutes.
- 1 cup canned light coconut milk , divided use
- 2 Tbsp. vegetarian red curry paste
- 2 cups low-sodium organic vegetable (or chicken) broth
- ½ tsp. sea salt (or Himalayan salt)
- 1 lb. raw pumpkin, cut into large cubes (about 3½ cups)
- ½ medium red bell pepper, sliced
- 4 kaffir lime leaves (optional)
- ½ cup fresh basil, chopped
- 1 Tbsp. black sesame seeds (optional)
- 1 Tbsp. unsweetened shredded coconut (optional)
- 3 cups cooked brown rice, hot
Heat coconut milk and red curry paste in medium saucepan over medium-high heat, stirring frequently until well mixed.
Add broth, salt, pumpkin, bell pepper, and lime leaves if desired. Bring to boil. Reduce heat to medium-low; cook, stirring occasionally for 10 to 12 minutes, or until pumpkin softens.
Add basil, sesame seeds (if desired), and coconut (if desired); cook for 1 to 2 minutes. Remove lime leaves.
Place ½ cup of rice in each of six serving bowls and top with pumpkin mixture.
You can sub in kaffir lime leaves and Thai basil for regular basil if you prefer. You can typically find both at an Asian market.
The Nutrition Facts box below provides estimated nutritional information for this recipe.
Body Beast Portions
If you have questions about the portions, please click here to post a question in our forums so our experts can help. Please include a link to the recipe you’re asking about.