Few snacks are as uniquely refreshing as the combo of juicy fruit and peppery chili powder in our recipe for Tropical Salad with Mango, Avocado, and Chicken.
I’m really into this union of cumin, chili powder, and fresh serrano chili as a dressing. It’s fresh and complex, the way a great dressing should be. The savory heat of this sauce cuts the sweetness of the mango and pineapple, while the buttery avocado pulls the disparate flavors together.
This tropical salad recipe is one I’d definitely bust out at a potluck and I recommend you try it at your next one. Just remember to keep the dressing and salad separate until serving because contrary to popular belief, you can make friends with salad — but not with soggy mango.
Beyond being a crowd pleaser, this medley of flavor and good-for-you fruits, herbs, and lean protein can also be enjoyed solo.
Tropical Salad with Mango, Avocado, and Chicken
This summery tropical salad with chicken and mango is a delicious high-protein lunch!
- 2 Tbsp. 100% pineapple juice
- 1 Tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- 1½ tsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium Serrano chile seeded, finely chopped
- ¼ tsp. chili powder
- ¼ tsp. ground cumin
- ¼ tsp. sea salt (or Himalayan salt)
- ¼ tsp. ground black pepper
- ¼ medium medium mango peeled, cubed
- ¼ medium medium avocado cubed
- ¼ cup cubed fresh pineapple
- ½ cup cubed jicama
- 3 oz. cooked chicken breast boneless, skinless, cut into bite-size pieces
- 12 fresh cilantro leaves chopped (for garnish; optional)
Combine pineapple juice, vinegar, oil, Serrano chile, chili powder, cumin, salt, and pepper in a small bowl; whisk to blend. Set aside.
Place mango, avocado, pineapple, jicama, and chicken in a medium bowl; mix well.
Drizzle with dressing; toss gently to blend.
Garnish with cilantro if desired.
Portion Control Containers
If you have questions about the portions, please click here to post a question in our forums so our experts can help. Please include a link to the recipe.
Photos by Kirsten Morningstar