Tony Horton’s Vegetarian Chili Recipe
This slow-cooker vegetarian chili recipe is one of Tony’s favorite recipes to make for watching football.
Tony garnishes his chili with avocado, red onion, and cheese. Feel free to try it his way or add your own special flavor.
Tony Horton's Vegetarian Chili Recipe
This savory vegetarian chili is made with Tony Horton's signature spice blend, black and kidney beans, and spicy jalapeños.
- 1 Tbsp. dried basil leaves
- 1 tsp. dried oregano leaves
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- ½ tsp. ground cayenne pepper
- ¾ tsp. sea salt (or Himalayan salt)
- 2 Tbsp. cacao powder (or unsweetened cocoa powder)
- 2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 4 cups water
- 1 cup canned (or cooked) black beans
- 1 cup canned (or cooked) kidney beans
- 1 (28-oz.) can crushed tomatoes (or crushed heirloom tomatoes)
- 3 Tbsp. agave nectar
- 3 bay leaves
- 3 Tbsp. extra-virgin organic coconut oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 2 medium jalapenos, seeded and deveined, chopped
- 1 (8-oz.) package meatless breakfast patties, thawed, chopped (6 patties)
- 1 cup chopped cremini (or white) mushrooms
Combine basil, oregano, cumin, cayenne pepper, salt, cacao powder, and cinnamon in a small bowl; mix well. Set aside.
Place water, black beans, kidney beans, tomatoes, agave nectar, bay leaves, and half of spice mixture in a large slow cooker; mix well and cover. Turn heat to low.
Heat oil in medium saucepan over medium-high heat.
Add onion, bell pepper, carrots, jalapenos, and breakfast patties; cook, stirring frequently, for 6 to 8 minutes, or until onions are translucent.
Add mushrooms and remaining half of seasoning mixture; cook, stirring frequently, for 5 to 6 minutes, or until mushrooms release their liquid.
Add onion mixture to slow cooker; mix well and cover. Turn heat to high. Cook for 2 hours.
The Nutrition Facts box below provides estimated nutritional information for this recipe.
Pro tip: Chili can be made in a medium saucepot. Combine ingredients in step 1. Follow steps 3 to 5. Step 6: Add onion mixture, water, black beans, kidney beans, tomatoes, agave nectar, bay leaves and remaining half of spice mixture to saucepot. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat to low; cook, stirring occasionally, for 30 to 45 minutes.
If you have questions about the portions, please click here to post a question in our forums so our experts can help. Please include a link to the recipe.