There are so many reasons to love this Portuguese-inspired kale and sausage soup, but one of them is that this recipe tastes even better on the second day!
For that reason, we love this soup for meal prep — it makes enough for a whole week of lunches or dinners and freezes well.
Portuguese Kale Soup
This Portuguese Kale soup is ideal for meal prep — it makes enough for a whole week of lunches or dinners and freezes well.
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 8 oz. turkey kielbasa sausage, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2-3 medium leeks, chopped, just white and light-green parts
- 1 bunch kale, stems removed and discarded, torn (about 4 cups)
- 1 (15-oz.) can kidney beans, drained, rinsed
- 1 (14.5-oz.) can diced tomatoes, no added salt
- 6 cups low-sodium organic chicken (or vegetable) broth
- Ground black pepper (to taste; optional)
Heat oil in large saucepan over medium-high heat.
Add kielbasa; cook, stirring frequently, for 3 to 4 minutes, or until browned.
Add garlic, leeks, and kale; cook, stirring frequently, for 3 to 4 minutes, or until soft.
Add kidney beans, tomatoes, broth, and pepper (if desired). Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium; cook, stirring occasionally, for 30 minutes.
Body Beast Portions
2B Mindset Plate It!
Add extra veggies or a side salad for a great lunch.
If you have questions about the portions, please click here to post a question in our forums so our experts can help. Please include a link to the recipe you’re asking about.
Photos by Amanda Meixner