Pasta fagioli soup is a classic Italian recipe made with white beans and pasta.
You’re probably thinking that soup can’t be all that satisfying, but this hearty soup is packed with all sorts of delicious ingredients like carrots, celery, tomatoes, green beans, white (cannellini) beans, and whole-wheat pasta.
This healthy pasta recipe is warming, satisfying, and an easy way to add vegetables to your day!
Pasta Fagioli Soup
- 1½ cups dry whole grain small pasta, like macaroni or orzo. (4 oz.)
- 2 tsp. olive oil
- 2 medium carrots, sliced
- 2 medium celery stalks, sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 4 cups low-sodium organic chicken broth
- 1 (14.5 oz.) can green beans, no salt added
- 1 (15 oz.) can cannellini (white) beans, drained, rinsed
- 1 (14.5 oz.) can stewed tomatoes
- 2 Tbps. tomato paste (no sugar added)
- 9 fresh rosemary sprigs, leaves removes and chopped, stems discarded
- Sea salt and ground black pepper (to taste; optional)
Cook pasta according to package directions. Set aside.
Heat oil in large saucepan over medium-high heat.
Add carrot and celery; cook, stirring frequently, for 4 to 5 minutes, or until soft.
Add garlic; cook, stirring frequently, for 1 to 2 minutes, or until soft.
Add broth. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium.
Add green beans, white beans, tomatoes, tomato paste, and rosemary. Season with salt and pepper if desired; gently boil, stirring occasionally, for 8 to 10 minutes.
Add pasta; cook for 3 minutes. Serve immediately.
2B Mindset Plate It!
A great veggie and FFC as part of lunch.
If you have questions about the portions, please click here to post a question in our forums so our experts can help. Please include a link to the recipe you’re asking about.