*This article was updated to reflect that the new Shakeology formula will soon be available in Canada.
At Beachbody, our goal is to help you achieve your best results. Our comprehensive approach combines fitness, nutrition, and support — it’s a proven formula that has helped millions of people transform their lives.
One of the ways we help people do this is with Shakeology, a superfood supplement that can help you build a healthy nutrition foundation, thanks to its vitamins, minerals, and phytonutrient-dense botanicals.
If you’re not drinking a daily Shakeology, now is a great time to start, because we made some changes to the formula to make it even better.
And don’t worry, die-hard Shakeology fans — it still has the same great taste you know and love!
Note: The new Shakeology formula will start shipping in Canada soon!
6 Things to Know About the New Shakeology Formula
1. Improved vitamin and mineral composition (whey-based formulas only)
When new research from the Dietary Committee was released, it revealed that there are vitamins and minerals many people were short on as well as others that may not be beneficial if consumed in excess.
It turns out many people don’t get enough vitamin B6, vitamin D, and vitamin C; meanwhile, too much vitamin A, depending on the form, can be a bad thing.
In addition, research shows that some populations may have different nutrient needs.
- Many women of child-bearing age do not consume enough of C, D, and E; Folate (B9), magnesium and potassium
- Vegetarians are often short on calcium and iron
- Overweight individuals may need more of vitamins A, C, D, E, K, B12, zinc, and selenium
Our scientists took a big picture look at all of this data and created a new whey formula that delivers more of the vitamins and minerals you need to help round out a healthy diet.
Vitamin and mineral changes for Shakeology:
- Increased levels of vitamin D and magnesium. Vitamin D is necessary for calcium absorption and supports healthy bones and muscle function and magnesium helps support a variety of processes including normal muscle and nervous system function.
- Addition of selenium, a trace element that can help the body stay healthy.
- Increased levels of vitamins B6, B12, and folate. Shakeology now has 50 percent of the daily value of each.
- Folic acid has been replaced with L-methylfolate, the active form of the nutrient that is easier for the body to use.
- The vitamin K form — previously K1 — has been replaced with K2. Vitamin K helps maintain healthy bones.
- Cyanocobalamin, the previous vitamin B12 form, has been replaced with methycobalamin which is more bioavailable. Vitamin B12 is important for the nervous system, for energy metabolism, and works with folate in the synthesis of DNA and red blood cells.
- The vitamin E in Shakeology now uses the succinate form, which is sourced from non-GMO sunflowers.
- Shakeology now includes less vitamin A, calcium, and iron. While these are important nutrients, high supplemental levels may not be beneficial.
2. Key vitamins and minerals are now easier for the body to absorb
When it comes to vitamins and minerals, quality, not just quantity matters. And when it came to improving the Shakeology formula, we took this into serious consideration.
That’s why we replaced certain folate, vitamin K, and vitamin B12 with forms that are easier for the human body to absorb and use.
3. We added matcha
Matcha is the powdered green tea leaf that has potent phytonutrients. Along with other superfood phytonutrients in Shakeology, matcha can help support health and vitality.
(Find out more about the benefits of matcha tea here.)
4. We added chaga
Chaga is a woody mushroom, which along with other adapotgens in Shakeology, have been traditionally used to help the body adapt and respond to effects of stress.
5. We added sacha inchi in Vegan Shakeology
Our non-vegan flavors have always had sacha inchi, which is a superfood native to Peru and is also known as an Inca nut.
We’re thrilled that sacha inchi is now a part of our protein blend across the full Shakeology product line, including our vegan flavors!
6. We removed fructose and agave
Previously, fructose was an ingredient in the whey-based Shakeology and agave was an ingredient in Vegan Shakeology.
While striving for the highest quality ingredients, our formulators discovered that replacing fructose and agave with organic cane sugar resulted in a more well-rounded sweetness.
Frequently Asked Questions
When will this new Shakeology formula be available?
The new formula is now available. If your Shakeology bag includes matcha or chaga in the ingredient list, you have the updated formula!
How can I sample Shakeology? Can I sample the new formula?
YES! We know it’s a lot easier to choose your favorite flavor and decide Shakeology is right for you when your taste buds are involved.
Check out the two new Shakeology Samplers and try out all nine delicious flavors, including our two dairy-free options: Vanilla Vegan and Café Latte Vegan.
The Shakeology Sampler includes five packets: 1 Cafe Latte, 1 Chocolate, 1 Vanilla, 1 Strawberry, and 1 Greenberry (Note: Shakeology Sampler packs in Canada do not include Greenberry)
The Shakeology Vegan Sampler includes four packets: 1 Cafe Latte Vegan, 1 Chocolate Vegan, 1 Vanilla Vegan, and 1 Tropical Strawberry Vegan
Can the old formula Shakeology still be purchased?
No. Once the new Shakeology starts shipping, the old Shakeology has run out.
Is the old formula safe to consume?
The old formula is perfectly fine to consume within shelf life. The old version is great, but the new version is better!