If you’re not a fan of traditional ground beef tacos, chicken tacos, or fish tacos, then these Mexi-Cal Tacos are the perfect stand-in.
Tofu is a versatile and clever substitute for meat in any dish, but especially in a taco recipe — the tofu absorbs all the rich spice flavors that it’s cooked in so you can’t even tell it’s not meat!
These Mexi-Cal tacos are bursting with flavors like garlic, chili powder, jalapeno, and fresh lime.
And an array of vegetables, whole-wheat tortillas, and yogurt instead of sour cream means you can crush Taco Tuesday and stick with your healthy eating plan!
These versatile tacos are made with tofu, but you can add your favorite protein for a customized taco!
- 2 Tbsp. nonfat plain yogurt
- 3 Tbsp. fresh lime juice, divided use
- 2 Tbsp. cilantro, finely chopped, divided use
- 1 medium tomato, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped, divided use
- 1 medium jalapeño, seeds removed, chopped (optional)
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 cup assorted vegetables (like sliced mushrooms, spinach, or marinated cactus)
- 1 (14-oz.) package firm tofu, crumbled
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 tsp. chili powder (or chipotle seasoning, habañero seasoning, or cumin)
- 4 (6-inch) whole-wheat tortillas, warm
- 1 cup shredded romaine lettuce
- Fresh cilantro leaves (for garnish; optional)
- 4 lime wedges (for garnish; optional)
Combine yogurt, 2 Tbsp. lime juice, and 1 Tbsp. cilantro in a small bowl; mix well. Set aside.
Combine tomato, ¼ onion, jalapeño (if desired), and remaining 1 Tbsp. cilantro in a small bowl; mix well. Set aside.
Heat oil in large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.
Add remaining ¾ onion; cook, stirring frequently, for 3 to 4 minutes, or until translucent.
Add vegetables; cook, stirring frequently, for 4 to 5 minutes or until crisp.
Add tofu, garlic, and chili powder; cook, stirring frequently, for 3 to 4 minutes, or until tofu is lightly browned and vegetables are tender-crisp.
Add remaining 1 Tbsp. lime juice; reduce heat to medium-low and bring to a gentle boil. Remove from heat.
Top tortillas evenly with lettuce and tofu mixture.
Drizzle with yogurt sauce; garnish with cilantro leaves and lime wedge. Serve with tomato salsa.
The Nutrition Facts box below provides estimated nutritional information for this recipe.
2B Mindset Plate It!
Add a side salad or more veggies to make a great lunch.
If you have questions about the portions, please click here to post a nutrition question in our forums so our experts can help. Please include a link to the recipe.