Hot and sour soup has a wonderful aroma and a spicy kick. Shiitake mushrooms, ginger, and garlic make this is a great go-to soup to soothe a cold.
Hot and Sour Soup
- 1 Tbsp. coconut oil
- 8 oz. shiitake mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 1-inch piece fresh ginger, peeled, finely chopped
- 1 tsp. red chili paste (like sambal oelek)
- ½ tsp. crushed red pepper
- ½ cup canned sliced bamboo shoots
- ¼ cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 4 cups low-sodium organic vegetable broth
- 14 oz. firm tofu, cut into 1-inch cubes
- ¼ cup rice vinegar
- 2 Tbsp. cornstarch
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 6 fresh cilantro sprigs, leaves removed, stems discarded
Heat oil in large skillet over medium-high heat.
Add mushrooms; cook, stirring frequently, for 2 to 3 minutes.
Add garlic, ginger, chili paste, red pepper, and bamboo shoots; cook, stirring frequently, for 1 to 2 minutes.
Add soy sauce and broth. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; gently boil, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes.
Add tofu; cook for 2 to 3 minutes.
Combine vinegar and cornstarch in a small bowl; mix until smooth.
Add cornstarch mixture to soup; cook, stirring constantly, for 3 to 4 minutes, or until soup thickens. Remove from heat.
Slowly add egg to soup, stirring constantly, so that egg cooks and forms threads.
Body Beast Portions
Portion Fix Containers
2B Mindset Plate It!
Add an FFC for a great lunch. For a great dinner, add more veggies or side salad.
If you have questions about the portions, please click here to post a question in our forums so our experts can help. Please include a link to the recipe.