Order General Tso’s out and get ready for a hefty helping of saturated fat and calories. Try this healthier version instead and enjoy the taste and just 183 calories per serving.
Total Time: 25 min.
Prep Time: 10 min.
Cooking Time: 15 min.
Yield: 4 servings
1 lb. raw chicken breast, boneless, skinless, cut into 2-inch pieces
2 Tbsp. + 1 tsp. cornstarch, divided use
¼ tsp. sea salt
1 tsp. sesame oil
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 thin slice fresh ginger, peeled, finely chopped
2 Tbsp. reduced-sodium soy sauce
½ cup low sodium chicken broth
1 Tbsp. rice wine vinegar
2 Tbsp. tomato paste, no added sugar
2 tsp. hoisin sauce
1 tsp. pure maple syrup (or raw honey)
2 Tbsp. cold water
2 green onions, sliced
1 Tbsp. toasted sesame seeds
1 Tbsp. dried Thai chilies (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 375° F.
2. Line baking sheet with parchment paper; set aside.
3. Place chicken, 2 Tbsp. cornstarch, and salt in a medium bowl; toss until well coated.
4. Place chicken in a single layer on prepared baking sheet; bake for 12 to 15 minutes, or until cooked through.
5. While chicken is baking, heat oil, garlic, and ginger in large skillet over medium heat; cook for 1 to 2 minutes.
6. Add soy sauce, broth, vinegar, tomato paste, hoisin sauce, and maple syrup. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low; cook for 4 to 5 minutes.
7. Dissolve remaining 1 tsp. cornstarch in cold water; add to soy sauce mixture. Gently boil, stirring frequently, for another 3 to 4 minutes, or until sauce begins to thicken.
8. Add cooked chicken to sauce, coating thoroughly.
9. Serve chicken sprinkled with sesame seeds, green onions, and chilies (if desired).
Nutritional Information (per serving):
Total Fat: 5 g
Saturated Fat: 1 g
Cholesterol: 67 mg
Sodium: 839 mg
Carbohydrates: 9 g
Fiber: 1 g
Sugar: 3 g
Protein: 24 g
Body Beast Portions
½ Liquid Carb
If you have questions about the portions, please click here to post a nutrition question in our forums so our experts can help. Please include a link to the recipe.