This easy turkey chili is a comforting “stick-to-your-ribs” kind of meal.
Extra-lean ground turkey packs in the protein and bite-sized chunks of sweet potatoes are a delicious, fiber-filled twist on the usual bean chili.
There are a number of ways to mix up your chili routine:
- If you’re craving a different meat, you could substitute ground chicken breast or extra-lean ground beef instead of turkey.
- Or use this recipe as a template and swap a cup of your favorite beans for the sweet potatoes.
- Not a spicy food fan? That’s okay, feel free to cut down (or omit) the chili powder.
This easy turkey chili recipe creates tons of flavor even without the heat.
To add a bit of fun and creativity to this dinner, prep extra toppings for your family to add on top of their individual bowls.
A sprinkling of grated cheddar or jack cheese, chopped green onions or cilantro, and plain Greek yogurt all make excellent garnishes.
Easy Turkey Chili
Mix up your chili routine with this Easy Turkey Chili recipe. It's a comforting “stick-to-your-ribs” weeknight dinner that is sure to satisfy.
- 1 Tbsp. + 1 tsp. olive oil
- 1 lb. raw 93% lean ground turkey breast
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 1 medium red bell pepper chopped
- 1 (10-oz.) can diced tomatoes and chilies (like Rotel®)
- 1 (8-oz.) can all-natural tomato sauce no salt or sugar added
- 2 small sweet potatoes cut into 1-inch cubes
- ¾ cup water
- 1 Tbsp. chili powder
- ½ tsp. ground cumin
- ¼ tsp. ground paprika
- ½ tsp. sea salt (or Himalayan salt)
- 2 Tbsp. finely chopped flat leaf (Italian) parsley (optional)
Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat.
Add turkey; cook, stirring frequently, for 4 to 5 minutes, or until turkey is browned.
Add onion and bell pepper; cook, stirring frequently, for 4 to 5 minutes, or until onion is translucent.
Add tomatoes, tomato sauce, water, sweet potatoes, chili powder, cumin, salt, and paprika. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low; gently boil, stirring occasionally, for 20 to 25 minutes, or until sweet potatoes are tender.
Evenly divide chili into four serving bowls; garnish with parsley, if desired.
The Nutrition Facts box below provides estimated nutritional information for this recipe.
2B Mindset Plate It!
Add a small side salad or more veggies to make this a great lunch option.
If you have questions about the portions, please click here to post a question in our forums so our experts can help. Please include a link to the recipe.
Easy Turkey Chili recipe Photographs by Anguel Dimov