If you’re not yet a kale lover, this is the recipe that will change your mind. And if you are, this hearty pasta with kale and turkey sausage will rock your world. Cooking with aromatic vegetables and broth brings out the softer side of our favorite leafy green and makes a scrumptious sauce for this pasta dish.
Pasta with Kale and Turkey Sausage
- 6 oz . dry whole wheat pasta
- 1 tsp . olive oil
- ½ medium yellow (or orange) bell pepper, chopped
- ½ medium onion , chopped
- 8 oz . Italian-style turkey sausage , chopped
- 1 clove garlic , finely chopped
- Sea salt and ground black pepper (to taste; optional)
- ½ cup low-sodium , organic fat-free chicken broth
- 1 bunch kale , ribs removed, chopped (about 3 cups)
- 1 Tbsp . shredded Parmesan cheese (to taste; optional)
Cook pasta according to package directions. Set aside.
Heat large skillet over medium heat.
Add oil, bell pepper, and onion; cook, stirring frequently, for 4 to 5 minutes, or until onion is translucent.
Add sausage and garlic, Season with salt and pepper if desired; cook, stirring frequently, for 5 to 7 minutes, or until sausage starts to brown.
Add broth and kale; cook, stirring occasionally, adding additional broth or water as needed, for 4 to 5 minutes, or until kale is soft.
Add pasta to sausage mixture.
Top with cheese if desired.
Total Fat: 8 g
Saturated Fat: 2 g
Cholesterol: 43 mg
Sodium: 509 mg
Carbohydrates: 43 g
Fiber: 2 g
Sugar: 1 g
Protein: 23 g
1 Grain Carb
Body Beast Portions
If you have questions about the portions, please click here to post a question in our forums so our experts can help. Please include a link to the recipe you’re asking about.
Photo and recipe by Kirsten Morningstar